Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Proportioned" Skirt Patterns - Useful or not?

I'm a taller-than-average person, so I'm often frustrated by the fact that Petite and Half-size patterns are available but the vertically gifted have no customized options in vintage patterns.

Or so I thought!

I stumbled across a few patterns for skirts in Proportioned Sizes:
Short: 5'3" and under
Medium: 5'4" to 5'6"
Tall: 5'7" and over



Of course, I had to have one. I'm a sucker. I was hoping for more length between the waist and hip, or maybe side seam pockets that had longer/lower openings to accommodate my lanky arms more comfortably.


Nope. The only thing proportioned about this pattern is the hemline. Bummer. I don't find this proportioned pattern stuff helpful. Do you?

4 comments:

Miranda said...

I have a couple of those...because I'm stumpy. I'm hoping the pants/clamdigger/shorts pattern I have is a little better than the skirt pattern you show. Because pants are a pain to fit.

Summer said...

Bummer--I have a couple dress patterns and was hoping to skip a long torso alteration. I'll have to check the pattern!

Nathalie said...

I'm 5ft10 and have a similar problem; I'm constantly lengthening standard vintage patterns by a couple of inches. And yet I also often use half sizes despite them being for the petite. Maybe I have a proportionally short torso or something, but I find that as long as I drop the bustline a little (no more than half an inch in my case), the rest of the bodice fits very well. And then of course I have to lengthen the skirt by a good 4 inches! As far as regrading goes, it's all fairly straightforward though.

CGCouture said...

Weird, but, at least now you know, right?

Burda often has patterns that are for tall people that could possibly made to look "vintage". You might check out their website to see if they offer any skirts or whatever for download. Then just use your regular vintage patterns to rob the details off of. :-) Just search for Burdastyle.