Friday, January 21, 2011

My new fluffer from Eleen Fashions!

My custom fluffer arrived yesterday! It's my fluffiest fluffer yet. A big thank you goes out to Dawn at Eleen Fashions for a great reason to make a new dress!

Here's what I'm thinking for the dress...


This dress (vintage, sold for $850!) is my inspiration. I'll modify my V&A dress bodice to get the high front neckline and the dramatic back with buttons. Then I'll frankenstein it to the skirt from my cloud dress. I'm thinking red silk dupioni for the top and navy silk (dupioni? taffeta? matte satin? faille?) for the skirt. I have a small piece of navy silk with red and silverish ovals in my stash. I might try to make it into a little bolero with a red silk lining. My matchy-matchiness will be off the charts!

Now all I need is a place to wear this ensemble. Any ideas?

6 comments:

A said...

Betty Draper would be so pleased! ;-)

Nathalie said...

Ooh, that dress is a beauty!

nightowl_72 said...

Wow that looks stunning! I would love to make that too. Are you drafting the pattern yourself?

Amber Love said...

Adorable design! But "fluffer" has a completely different connotation you might want to watch out for.

Jenny said...

@Amber Love

Yep, I know about the other definition of fluffer. However, I see no problem calling the object in question a fluffer since fluffing is what it does. Also, no one seems to agree on "crinoline" or "petticoat", so I prefer to opt out of the disagreement. You can check other posts about wearing fluffers for more explanation.

Jenny said...

@nightowl_72

The skirt is from Vogue 2960, a vintage reprint. The bodice will be based on the free pattern from the V&A museum that I have already modified to fit me. I'll just change the necklines and add an overlap for buttons at the back of the midriff piece. I hope it's as easy as it sounds!